UCSB Latin American and Iberian Studies Program

Interview with LAIS’s Financial Coordinator Mayra Ponce Ascencio

Mayra Ponce Ascencio is the Financial and Personnel Coordinator for PASC, she works closely with Faculty, Staff, and both Graduate and Undergraduate Students to ensure both the short and long term goals of the program are accomplished. 

What do you like most about your job?

It may sound cliché, but I what I love the most about my job is the people. I truly enjoy working with my co-workers and the faculty and students we get to help. It is super cool to meet people from so many places that share the love of learning and teaching.  

What has been the most rewarding part so far? 

The most rewarding part of my job has been to completing big and small projects in order to meet our goals. Whether it be to have a successful event, for paperwork to go through or to find an answer to a problem. It is all very fun to me. 

Is there anything you’ve learned in this position you’d like to share?

Kind communication is an awesome tool. If there is a problem with anything, I am pleased to say that I can communicate with who ever I need help from and I get the help I need. It is great to serve a department (s) that move to a common goal together and make it a pleasant experience even when at times it might be a bit stressful or hard. 

Do you have any interests or hobbies you’d like to share with the LAIS community?

I wish I had a super cool hobby to share – but the thing that I love to do the most is read books and watch movies. Even better, watch movies about the books I read. I read all kinds of genres, fiction and nonfiction, and I am currently and specifically interested in health info at the moment. I have found that it is harder than I thought to find factual publications out there about it, so that is what I am doing now. Because I come from a Mexican family, I get to enjoy yummy food that is not always the healthiest. I am trying to find recipes or modifications of recipes that my family and I could enjoy without putting our health at risk with all the many health issues our community suffers from. I look forward to seeing what I find out!